Various events are arranged in many countries around the world on or around October 5. These include celebrations to honor teachers in general or those who have made a special contribution to a particular community. The day may also be marked by conferences emphasizing the importance of teachers and learning, extra training sessions for teachers, recruitment drives for the teaching profession among university students or other suitably qualified professionals and events to increase the profile of teachers and the role they play in the media.
Trade unions or other professional organizations that represent teachers play an important role in organizing World Teachers' Day events in many countries. These include:
- The Australian Education Union.
- The Canadian Teachers' Federation.
- The Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario (Canada).
- The All India Secondary Teachers' Federation.
- The Japan Teachers' Union.
- The Teachers Council (New Zealand).
- The National Union of Teachers (United Kingdom).
- The National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers (United Kingdom).
- The National Education Association (United States).