Unite 4 Education: Non-Discriminatory Education
- Ensure the principles of equity and non-discrimination are enshrined in national legislation and cover administrative practices as well as the individual acts of public authorities
- Ensure that social inclusion is promoted and mainstreamed throughout the education system, including financing, policy development, curriculum and pedagogical practice, as well as teacher training
- Ensure that measures for increasing access to education, reducing drop-out rates and improving retention and completion rates identify and target communities that are most marginalised
Unite 4 Education: Evaluation and Assessment of Students, Teachers and Education
- Quality education requires formative evaluation and assessment
- Testing students is not enough to measure quality
- Quality education is more than teaching to the test
- Assessments of students are most effective when made in collaboration with teachers
Unite 4 Education: Gender Equity in Quality Education
- Ensure equal and universal access to education and completion of all levels of learning
- Finance the development and promote the use of gender-sensitive curricula across the education system
- Combine gender mainstreaming policies with targeted measures focusing on girls and/or boys as appropriate
- Focus on including those marginalised as a result of multiple discrimination
Wrong policies at the wrong time: Impacts of IMF policies on national education budgets and teachers
Unite 4 Education: Tools and Materials for Quality Teaching and Learning
- Qualified teachers with necessary teaching and learning tools and materials are the foundation for quality and effective education.
- Life skills of students are reinforced with quality teaching and appropriate learning tools and materials.
- Appropriate and adequate teaching and learning tools and materials are needed for the effective provision/delivery of quality education.
Unite 4 Education: Teacher Training and Professional Development
- Qualified teachers are at the heart of quality education
- High-quality teacher education and training and on-going professional development improves teacher retention, effectiveness and student achievement
- Teachers should receive comprehensive initial training through institutions of higher education, as well as in-service training and ongoing professional development
Unite 4 Education: Quality Learning Environment
- The learning environment is central to quality education.
- A quality learning environment is accessible and inclusive for all.
- A quality learning environment is safe and secure for all.
- A quality learning environment has adequate resources and infrastructure.
- Reasonable class sizes are essential to a quality learning environment.
The facts in the fiction: Public private partnerships in education
Unite 4 Education: The Right to an Education Begins at Birth
- Education is a fundamental human right for all, and a public good
- Quality education needs an inclusive and holistic approach
- Fairness and equity is fundamental to quality education
- Quality education requires quality teachers
- Quality education must be publicly financed
Unite 4 Education: Why Invest?
- Education is a right
- Education is a public good and contributes to social, cultural, democratic and economic development
- Education contributes to the personal development of individuals, including their intellectual, social and physical development
- Education encourages people to become active citizens and contribute to the development and well-being of society
- Education is a necessary investment for solving the current crises
- The privatisation of education financing undermines social equity and distorts the mission of educational institutions